Apostille in the CIS countries

Do I need an apostille or legalization if a document (birth certificate, marriage certificate, diploma, etc.) is required to be submitted in one of the CIS countries, if the document was also received in one of the CIS countries?

According to the Minsk Convention signed on January 22, 1993, documents submitted from one CIS country to another do not need an apostille or legalization.

The only requirement for documents is that they must be issued in a CIS country, and not during the Soviet Union. That is, the document must be a new sample.

Another requirement concerns diplomas and certificates. They are accepted only after the nostrification procedure. That is, diplomas and certificates must be confirmed in the relevant ministries before they are granted in one of the CIS countries.

Very often, officials mistakenly believe that if a country is a member of the Hague Apostille Convention, then an apostille is required. Some officials do not know anything about the Minsk Convention - “Convention on Legal Assistance and Legal Relations in Civil, Family and Criminal Matters“.

List of CIS countries:

Azerbaijan, Armenia, Belarus, Kazakhstan, Kyrgyzstan, Moldova, Russia, Tajikistan, Turkmenistan, Uzbekistan, Ukraine.

What should I do if one of the CIS countries requires an apostille for a document from another CIS country?

Link to Minsk Convention signed on January 22, 1993. Many officials have not heard anything about it and pay attention only to the list of countries included in the apostille.

Do I need to present documents of a new type in other CIS countries received after the independence of my state?

Yes, there is such a requirement in most CIS countries. It is worth not to wait for the moment, but to remake your documents into documents of a new type in advance. If it is necessary, for example, to travel abroad, for an apostille you will simply need to send these documents to our bureau and receive them already with an apostille.